How to Declare Minor

Steps to declare anthropology as minor:

  1. Apply for the B.A. in Anthropology on Axess.
    1. Students must apply in Axess for the B.A. Minor in Anthropology by the time junior status is achieved (30 units).
  2. Contact the department's Undergraduate Student Services Officer at mguillen [at] to review Minor requirements and complete required paperwork.  Peer advisors are also available to assist you.
    1. Your course of study plan may be revised in the future as necessary; any revisions to the initial minor form must be approved by the Student Services Specialist and/or your faculty advisor.
  3. Submit the required forms to the Undergraduate Student Services Officer to review your minor form and request a faculty advisor assignment.
    1. If you already have someone in mind with whom you have taken a class, or whom you have met through an informal gathering, you may send your faculty advisor request to the Undergraduate Student Services Officer (you may submit up to 3 advisor preferences). Otherwise, the department will assign you a faculty advisor based on your emphasis and research interests.
    2. For a list of Anthropology Faculty, please see Anthropology Faculty. If you still need help with choosing a faculty advisor, please stop by the Peer Advising office (50-52D) to speak with Anthropology Peer Advisors.
    3. Please also see, for helpful information on approaching and managing your mentor.
  4. The Student Services Officer will approve your Anthropology minor request on Axess and add you to the UG Anthropology mailing list. You will also receive a folder that includes helpful information about the minor as well as a small gift to welcome you in the department.
  5. You will receive written notification of your faculty advisor assignment via email. Once you have been assigned a faculty advisor, meet with your advisor to obtain approval of the minor form.
    1. Most Anthropology faculty members will have an office hour sign-up sheet outside of their office. If the sign-up sheet is not available, you may contact your advisor to schedule an appointment to discuss your minor plan and have your form approved.
  6. Bring the approved minor form to the Undergraduate Student Services Officer; your form will be placed in your file.