How to Declare
Steps to declare anthropology as your major:
- Apply for the B.A. in Anthropology on Axess.
- Students must apply in Axess for the B.A. Major in Anthropology by the time junior status is achieved (85 units).
- Contact the department's Undergraduate Student Services Officer at tajeon [at] stanford.edu (tajeon[at]stanford[dot]edu) to review Major requirements and complete required paperwork. Peer advisors are also available to assist you.
- Your course of study plan may be revised in the future as necessary; any revisions to the initial major form must be approved by the Student Services Officer and/or your faculty advisor.
- Submit the required forms to the Undergraduate Student Services Officer to review your Major Form and request a faculty advisor assignment.
- If you already have someone in mind with whom you have taken a class, or whom you have met through an informal gathering, you may send your faculty advisor request to the Undergraduate Student Services Officer (you may submit up to 3 advisor preferences). Otherwise, the department will assign you a faculty advisor based on your emphasis and research interests.
- For a list of Anthropology Faculty, please see https://anthropology.stanford.edu/people/faculty. If you still need help with choosing a faculty advisor, please stop by the Peer Advising office (50-52D) to speak with Anthropology Peer Advisors.
- Please also see https://advising.stanford.edu/current-students/advising-student-handbook, for helpful information on approaching and managing your mentor.
- The Student Services Officer will approve your Anthropology major request on Axess and add you to the UG Anthropology mailing list. You will also receive a folder that includes helpful information about the major as well as a small gift to welcome you in the department.
- You will receive written notification of your faculty advisor assignment via email. Once you have been assigned a faculty advisor, meet with your advisor to obtain approval of the Major Form.
- Most Anthropology faculty members will have an office hour sign-up sheet outside of their office. If the sign-up sheet is not available, you may contact your advisor to schedule an appointment to discuss your major plan and have your form approved.
- Bring the approved Major Form to the Undergraduate Student Services Officer; your form will be placed in your file.