To apply to graduate degree programs in the Department of Anthropology, please go to the University Registrar, Graduate Admissions web page located at https://gradadmissions.stanford.edu/apply.
For Additional Information about applying to Stanford University, go to:
- Stanford University Registrar Office of Graduate Admissions for information about graduate admission at Stanford University.
- Stanford University Bulletin for information about university requirements, degree program requirements and course offerings.
- Department of Anthropology Graduate Admission FAQ for information about the department's graduate admission process, programs, and application
2022-2023 Academic year Graduate Application Deadline: Tuesday, December 6, 2022
The graduate application submission deadline for the 2022-2023 academic year is Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 11:59pm (PST).
Please submit the application with the required articles (i.e. unofficial transcript(s), letters of recommendation, writing sample, statement of purpose, TOFEL test scores-if required…), by the published deadline in the box above. Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Please note: The GRE test score(s) is not required for admission to the graduate program in Anthropology.
General Admissions Timeline
Anthropology Ph.D. application submission deadline early December
Faculty review of Ph.D. applications beginning mid December
Notification to applicants for call to interview early February
Interviews scheduled mid February
Decision status notification end February
The selection of graduate students admitted to the Department of Anthropology is based on an individualized, holistic review of each application, including (but, not limited to) the applicant's academic record, the letters of recommendation, TOEFL test scores if required, the statement of purpose, personal qualities and characteristics, and past accomplishments.
Stanford University offers several fee reduction programs. For additional information on this University policy, please see Grad Admissions Application Fee.
The Department of Anthropology does not offer a fee waiver.
Department Application Requirements
- Submission of the Stanford University Electronic Graduate Admissions Application by the published deadline. Please review the information and instructions, for accessing the electronic application, via the Stanford University Graduate Admissions webpages located at https://gradadmissions.stanford.edu/apply-now. To choose the Anthropology graduate degree program, search for the Department of Anthropology in the School of Humanities and Sciences.
- Submission of the Writing Sample detailing evidence of both writing ability, the capacity for research, analysis, original thought at the graduate level, and demonstration of the ability to use theory in relation to evidence. Please submit a sample, via electronic .pdf file upload directly to the electronic graduate application.
- The University Registrar, Office of Graduate Admissions, requires unofficial transcripts (from all universities and colleges attended for at least one year) to be uploaded, from a scanned copy, directly to the graduate application.
- After the deadline for submission, the department will proceed with an evaluation of the applicant materials based on the uploaded unofficial scanned transcript copy.
- Official transcript(s) will be required only after an applicant accepts an offer of admission.
- Submission of required test scores by way of the Educational Testing Service (ETS) listing the Stanford University Institutional code: 4704 (there is no department or school code, only the University code)
- GRE general test is not required
- TOEFL for all foreign national applicants (please see the information listed at University Registrar Office of Graduate Admissions for exceptions to the requirement). Other equivalent test scores (i.e. IELTS) will not be accepted.
- Submission of a statement of purpose detailing academic and professional preparation for the Anthropology graduate degree program. Please submit a statement via electronic .pdf file upload directly to the electronic graduate application.
- Submission of three letters of recommendation, only. Please review the University Registrar Office of Graduate Admissions instructions for submission of the letters of recommendation. Important - Letters must be submitted electronically by each recommender. A private letter/credentialing service is not permitted. All letters should be received by the published deadline. It is the applicant’s responsibility to communicate with each recommender to ensure that the department’s deadline for submission of the electronic graduate application will be met.
Special Programs at Stanford University for entering Ph.D. degree program applicants
Knight-Hennessy Scholars Program
The Knight-Hennessy Scholars program is designed to build a multidisciplinary community of Stanford graduate students dedicated to finding creative solutions to the world's greatest challenges. Each year, this University-endowed Scholars Program awards up to 100 high-achieving Graduate students with partial funding to pursue a Graduate education at Stanford. To be considered for admission to the Department of Anthropology Ph.D. degree program as a Knight-Hennessy Scholar, one must apply to Knight-Hennessy Scholars via https://knight-hennessy.stanford.edu/admission/apply-now; and, apply to Stanford University, Department of Anthropology, Graduate degree program via https://gradadmissions.stanford.edu/apply-now. Although, the Department of Anthropology published deadline for submission of the Graduate application is December 6, 2022, only those applicants who have submitted both a Knight-Hennessy Scholar application by the published deadline on October 12, 2022 as well as Department of Anthropology graduate application by December 6, 2022 are eligible for consideration of graduate admission status to the Ph.D. degree program in Anthropology as a Knight Hennessy Scholar.
Medical Scientist Training Program
MSTP application in conjunction with social science Ph.D. programs is only permitted for current Stanford M.D. students previously admitted to a social science Ph.D. program, through their Ph.D. application process.
Stanford M.D. students admitted to a Social Science Ph.D. Program may apply for MSTP funding through the MSTP internal admissions process. For more information, please go to https://med.stanford.edu/mstp/admissions.html
University Registrar Office of Graduate Admissions Contact Information:
Web page: https://gradadmissions.stanford.edu/about#contact
Department of Anthropology
450 Jane Stanford Way, Main Quadrangle, Building 50, Room 51G
Stanford, CA 94305-2034