Department Application Requirements
- Submission of the Stanford University Electronic Coterminal application by the published deadline.
Submission of the Writing Sample detailing evidence of both writing ability, the capacity for research, analysis, original thought at the graduate level, and demonstration of the ability to use theory in relation to evidence.
- Preliminary Program Proposal
- Coterminal Course Approval Form
- The University Registrar, Office of Graduate Admissions, requires unofficial transcripts (from all universities and colleges attended for at least one year) to be uploaded, from a scanned copy, directly to the graduate application.
- After the deadline for submission, the department will proceed with an evaluation of the applicant materials based on the uploaded unofficial scanned transcript copy.
- Official transcript(s) will be required only after an applicant accepts an offer of admission.
- Submission of a statement of purpose detailing academic and professional preparation for the Anthropology graduate degree program.
- Three Letters of Recommendation: Two letters should come from Anthropology faculty members. Third letter can come from an academic advisor and may be from outside Anthropology.
The application must be submitted, along with all required supporting articles (i.e. official transcript(s), letters of recommendation, ETS test scores for the TOFEL - if required), by the published deadline. Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Each year, the Department of Anthropology admits a limited number of Stanford undergraduates to our Coterminal M.A. program. The selection of graduate students admitted to the Department of Anthropology is based on an individualized, holistic review of each application, including, but not limited to, the applicant's academic record, letters of recommendation, the statement of purpose, personal qualities and characteristics, and past accomplishments.
Department of Anthropology Contact Information:
Web page: https://anthropology.stanford.edu
E-mail: %20anth_gradadmission [at] stanford.edu
Department of Anthropology
450 Jane Stanford Way, Main Quadrangle, Building 50, Room 51G
Stanford, CA 94305-2034